01 August 2011

Adjusting to ALT Life

Konnichiwa! I arrived in Japan almost a week ago. The most comforting thing about leaving all of the familiarity of home to live in a new country and become illiterate and foreign was the people I have met along the way.  I started my adventure in Tokyo at the JET orientation.  I was fortunate to tag along with Anna from Seattle.  She is fluent in Japanese and an expert on the Japanese music scene.  We were able to take in some Tokyo sights and a Japanese rock concert. Japanese girls even make “head-banging” look cute! 

After a few jet lagged days in Tokyo, it was time to board a plane to Aomori prefecture to begin our jobs as ALT’s (assistant language teachers). I arrived in Aomori to be greeted by “Welcome Amber” signs.  I felt very emotional and clumsy trying to remember my three Japanese greetings, bow properly and make a good impression.  Luckily. Mr. Nagai (my supervisor) speaks great English and went for the hand shake.  I was also met by Adam and Renae, some of my fellow ALT’s in Hachinohe. 

 

Adam is my “big brother” in town.  He is Canadian and aspires to be a famous screenwriter one day.  He is full of interesting story ideas and great restaurant recommendations.  I have enjoyed his company and help deciphering vegetarian menu options.

Renae is my “roommate” in Hach.  She is Australian which means she has a cool accent.  She graciously offered to let me stay at her apartment for the next week while I wait to move into my apartment.  Otherwise I would be hotel hopping, lonely and without internet and skype.  Today she took me to the “Universe” supermarket and patiently went through the store aisle by aisle as I explored.

It is an exciting time of year to start our lives in Hachinohe, Aomori, Japan.  I feel blessed to have met wonderful people to share this experience with. I look forward to becoming great friends, improving my Japanese and singing Karaoke.  

Watashi wa Amber-san no sensei desu. 

No comments:

Post a Comment