22 August 2011

Work and Play


Last weekend we rode our bikes to Hachinohe’s coast.  It was quite the undertaking because our bikes aren’t exactly sleek road bikes.  Our bikes are heavy steel, single gear bikes that take a lot of leg power if you are riding on anything other than flat.   The ride to the coast was quite hilly and we did walk up a few hills along the way.  It took us about an hour (including stops for sunscreen and food).  The ride was so worth it as we rounded down the hill to the beach!! We found a spot near the surf, laid out our blanket and towels and tested the water with our toes.  The temperature was warm outside and the water temperature was about 64.  It was just cool enough to be chilly on the way in but once we took the plunge it felt great.  The swimming area was separated by rocks a ways off the shore so it tended to be more gradual and smaller waves coming up on the beach.  After a swim and a nap in the sun we walked along a nice long beach that we walked.  There is even a train station up the hill from the beach.  On the way home, we rode along the coast.  We saw beautiful views and decided it was a less strenuous route.  We will definitely be visiting the beach during our summer weekends in Hachinohe.  It is so great to cool off and soak up Vitamin D. 
This week was a sign of much busier times to come for my job.  I had a meeting with all of my Japanese English teachers to schedule when I would be assisting at their schools.  I am based at Haksundai junior high school, which means I am more involved in this school’s community.  I visit five other schools, one junior high and four elementary schools.  School officially starts up again after a summer break on Monday.  It is the middle of the school year.  The Japanese school year starts in April and runs through March.  They only have small breaks throughout the year with the summer break being the longest (a month).  Japanese students and teachers, pretty much work year round!!

Today I visited Haksundai for the first time.  I met the principal, vice principal and a few teachers and students.  I got a tour of the school, it is the newest in Hachinohe (5 years old).  It has special, fully equipped classrooms for art/shop, music, science, sewing and cooking.  Junior high in Japan is a bigger deal than in the U.S.  Students prepare for a high school entrance exam that determines where they will go.  I am expected to give a speech on Monday to the student body, in Japanese!! (have I mentioned how Japanese like speeches, especially when you are new!?) I also meet the Mayor Monday afternoon.  I will be sweating all day. 

This week I also helped correct a speech for the English speech contest, was videotaped for my authentic pronunciation of the speech and coached a student on reciting a story.  In September, Hachinohe students from throughout the city compete in a speech contest. It is a big deal.  I will be doing a lot of coaching for the next few weeks. Oh and I have to give a speech at this event as well. 

Finally, the first lesson I teach in Japan is tomorrow.  This lesson happens to be a lesson in French.  A group of students and teachers are going to New Caledonia (a French colonized island.)  I am filling in for a fellow ALT, Joe who injured his knee and is in the hospital recovering from surgery.   I am excited to use my French but a little nervous about my lack of Japanese language to explain misunderstandings.  Ganbatte – I will do my best. 


Friday night and I am live streaming morning edition on NPR.  This weekend will be busy with the French class, a few meetings and peach picking on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment