30 October 2011

Happy Halloween!!



























Happy Halloween! Today, Todd carved a pumpkin and roasted cajun spiced pumpkin seeds.  Then we dressed up and went to a Halloween party at the POP English school. Here are all of the spooky/cute guests. 

Halloween in Japan is a new celebration.  It is more of a commercial holiday with all of the stores decorating, selling candy and costumes.  The people don't carve pumpkins or trick-or-treat.  It seems to be more popular for the younger generation who is more interested in American/English speaker traditions. 


























I was たまごにぎり(a piece of tamago nigiri sushi) and Todd was a zombie soccer player.  I got alot of laughs for my costume and I was surprised that most of the kids recognized that I was sushi!! I had a post it note that said, watashi wa tamago nigiri desu but didn't need it.  I wonder if that would be true if I wore the same costume in the U.S.?
A cheap and simple costume! It was actually on a website as a baby costume. I think their body/rice proportion would work better. 


























Our jack-o-lantern! Todd asked a Misawa base friend to buy us two real American pumpkins from the air base.  We take a Japanese class with several of the military base people.  In Japan they don't sell big orange pumpkins, their pumpkins are small and green, called a kabocha.  Kabocha makes a delicious soup! 

We hope you enjoy your Halloween and fall season!

1 comment: